Brighton's old towel was dying, so I decided to make her a new one! Here's how I made this super cute flower hooded towel.
You will need:
large bath towel (lime green)
two hand towels (hot pink and bright yellow)
flower petal pattern (we'll make one)
and basic sewing supplies
1. From a piece of paper (I used card stock so it would hold up better to multiple uses) cut a rectangle 5"x4".
2. Round off the top corners. Not too much, we still want our petal to be nice and round at the top.
3. Cut your yellow hand towel in half. Save the other half for another hooded towel to give as a gift!
4. Place a pin in the middle of the hemmed side and the raw edge you just cut.
5. Place a pin in the middle, on the edge, of your green bath towel.
6. From your pink hand towel, but 10 petal pieces using your petal template. Also, cut 5 pieces from your batting.
7. Layer two pink petal pieces and a batting piece (in that order) and pin in place. Sew around the edge with a 1/4" seam, leaving the bottoms open.
8. Repeat, until you have 5 petals.
9. Turn them all right side out.
10. Pleat the bottom edge of the petals to give them a little shape, and baste in place.
11. Find the hemmed edge of your yellow towel (the hood). Using your pin that marks the center, place your petals along the edge of the hem, and NOT the edge of the towel (refer to next picture if you've got questions).
12. You want to turn the hem up over the bottom edge of your petals and pin in place.
13. Sew the folded hem down as close to the edge as you can get.
14. Fold your hood in half lengthwise. Pinch the corner (here's where any mad origami skills will come in handy).
15. Bring the corner INTO the hood, sandwiching it between the top and bottom. Line up all the edges. Do the same on the other side.
16. Sew in place (but not the very top layer- we don't want to sew our hood closed!). Zig-zag stitch the edge to prevent too much shedding of your towel.
17. Using the other center marking pin on the yellow hood, line it up with the center pin on your green bath towel. Some towels have a right and wrong side- take note if yours does.
18. Pin the hood (matching up center pins) to the INSIDE (wrong side) of your bath towel. Sew in place.And there you go- a cute towel for a cute girl.