Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Child's Apron From A Kitchen Towel Tutorial

Another project I worked on this past week- making B her very own apron out of a kitchen towel! Since a few of you have little ones of your own, I thought I would share what I did and then you can make one of your own if you want!
What you need:
a kitchen towel
OR a fat quarter or fabric scrap that measures at least 19" x 19.5"
some bias tape (either buy some, or make some- needs to be cut on the bias if you make it)
and obvs your basic sewing supplies

I bought the towel that I used at TJMaxx for $2 with the intention of making it into an apron for B. So find a kitchen towel of your own to use (it's nice because all the edges are finished, so you won't have to do it) or you could use a fat quarter or other scrap to whip one up.

*If you're using a towel, skip step 1 and go to step 2.*
Step 1. Hem the long sides (19.5") first by folding over 1/4" and pressing and then folding over 1/4" again and top stitching. Do the same with the bottom edge. Press. Now skip to step 3, yay!
Step 2. Fold your towel in half lengthwise and trim off the top so that it's now 19" long.

Step 3. On the unhemmed top edge, measure up from the fold 3.5". From your hemmed bottom edge, measure over 11" on your hemmed side edges. Cut out a curve joining those two measurements.
Step 4. Fold over your top edge 1/4" and press.

Step 5. Fold the top edge over again, press, pin in place and top stitch. Press again. (you can also just use bias tape to cover this raw edge if you're feeling extra lazy)
Nicely pressed, top stitched top!
Starting to look like an apron!
Step 6. Attach your bias tape to the curved edges leaving a 16" tail on each end for tying.
Viola! One super cute and fabulous kid's apron in 5 minutes!

4 comments:

Jenny-Jenny said...

Wow!! That is the cutest thing I ever saw! Good Job!

Anna R said...

So cute! What an awesome idea...
I am totally into making aprons right now. I think they will be this years Christmas/birthday gifts for my family members. I'm not a fabulous seamstress/sewer (I usually just make baby quilts) but found making aprons to be easy and fun!

THE LEWIS' said...

this is so cute, thanks for the tutorial. I am so going to be making some. you know for all the girls i have. i so need a girl!!! i found two really cute hand towels though and am going to give it a try and just keep on hand. your amazing. i know i say it everytime, but really you are!!!

ILikePaperCutting said...

this is so useful, thanks for the great tutorial.