Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Weekend Crafts

I don't know where the burst of energy came from, but this weekend I had an overwhelming desire to avoid my husband (on the only two days he has off during the week) and my children (Dale is perfectly capable). I didn't spend hours, as this post may lead you to believe, but I did get some of my WIP's done and and some ideas that I've had floating around in my head for months (or, in some other projects' case, years). And these projects were very frugal!

Ok, I totally copied this one- not my original idea! But I saw this at an antique fair a little over a month ago. So many things were so beautiful, but I couldn't bring myself to buy anything knowing I could attempt to make it myself. So I made this ornament, and then made one of my own design: Project cost: $2 per ornament.
I also saw some gorgeous cake stands and pedestal bowls at the antique fair. So I went to the second hand store and found some pretty silver and porcelain to glue together!And here's one finished! I didn't get around to the other... maybe next weekend. Total project cost: $3.
And here's one that's been sitting around my craft room for a year! I bought this fabric because I just fell in love with the printed lace on it. I figured I'd make B a dress with it. Then I found a 2T onesie in her closet. Where did that come from? Project cost: maybe $10?
I cut the snaps off the onesie, and sewed a skirt to it. Then added a yo-yo and orange button. I loved this dress and B got a lot of compliments at church. And a few requests to spin :)
Here's the final project of the weekend. I bought this footstool over a year ago, when I recovered my wing back chair with the intention of covering it in the same fabric and putting them together. I got it home and the stool was just a little too small to match the chair. So it's been sitting in the garage for the last year.
It's hideous, right? Straight from the disco era, yellow vinyl and all. But there was potential.
Then I was at JoAnn's one random weekend that I had a really great coupon. Searching through the remnants (that's where I get most of my fabrics) I came across this gorgeous fabric- a full yard of it. And then I knew- it was meant for my footstool.
Waiting for the paint to dry was the longest part of this process! But check out that fabric's texture! Amazing!
I'm so SO happy with how it turned out. I decided to put it in B's room, since it kind of matches what we've got going on in there. Total cost of this project: less than $15. It was a fabric remant-50% off, and then I had a 50% off anything coupon bringing my fabric cost to $8 and some cents for $35 per yard fabric! The stool was $5 and I had everything else on hand.
And she loves it too. We call it her princess stool and she uses it to climb into her bed.

There are tons of other things that I started but haven't finished. What a great weekend! I've really missed sitting in my craft room for hours on end.

2 comments:

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

SOOO cute. I've been eying the cake stands as well. I love your foot stool. Very CUTE! And yes Brighton's dress was adorable too. Glad to see you are back into crafting again. Isn't it great!

Brianne said...

I love it all. You give me hope that someday I will craft again :-). I did notice B's cute dress at the hospital, I was just a little too out of it to say anything :-).