Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter On A Budget

Though we're not suffering from the current "depression," I still like to be frugal.
(Ok, cheap. I'm cheap. Really cheap.)
Maybe I'm just extremely careful with money... (if you know the reference to that one, let me know, and I'll bake you a cake.)

I still wanted Brighton to enjoy something this year for Easter since it really is her first one that she's aware of. She was much too little last year to worry about doing anything special. I've spent a total of 86 cents, and if I didn't need a basket, then it could have been zero!
Basket from Goodwill, originally $1, and I used my 20% off coupon. The girl looked at me funny...
Some sheer green ribbon from a present? I don't remember where I got it, but I hold onto all that stuff.
Some printed grossgrain ribbon, $1 at Michael's, in their ribbon clearance bin.
And I am IN LOVE with K&Co brads. I make lots of Brighton's hair clips with scrapbook brads. Anywho, they were like $3-$4.
BUT, I had all of that craft stuff already on hand! Go me!
I hot glued some of the printed grossgrain ribbon to the handle, tied a bow with the sheer green ribbon (don't forget to fray check the ends if you don't want unraveling!), and glued some of the brads around the basket. Pretty cute huh? 86 cents.
The Easter Bunny would always leave us little toys in our baskets, along with plenty of candy. Since Brighton doesn't get to eat candy, I'm going to make her some shortbread animal cookies for her basket. Along with this cute bunny! I got the pattern from The Purl Bee. I used some left over scraps from other projects to make her and her little dress! If you plan on ever making this bunny, let me know, because I had a few blunders along the way that I'd love to share with you, along with some changes that I made to patterns and instructions.
I just love her little feet and embroidered face. Hopefully Brighton will enjoy it for a few hours! If you're looking for more budget friendly ideas, check out One Pretty Thing. They have round-ups of a whole bunch of DIY Easter ideas, as well as others through out the year. I also saw this one today from Make It and Love It.

What are you planning on doing to save money for Easter? Leave some comments, share some posts about it, I'd love to see!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

you are so amazing! Brighton will love it!

dana said...

Thanks for your comment on MADE and good luck with the sewing! If you create a dress, please let me know! I'd love to see!