Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Finished Quilt

I finished this quilt that I was making from scraps on Saturday. I used this tutorial from a crazy quilter mom who has already made over ten quilts just THIS YEAR! That's insanity! And that's why she's crazy.
This is called a "ragged squares" quilt because the squares will all fray with use and washing. I am REALLY liking how it turned out. It's roughly 43" by 52", so a perfect size for Brighton to have when she's little. I love how it looks, but I was really proud of myself for using what I already had. There's something about starting a new project that makes me want to hit up the fabric store. I resisted the urge! I'm pretty sure I already have a fabric stash that would put an old lady to shame. But I did have to get the batting (which was only $5.99 with my coupon- go me). So that's how much this quilt cost me. And I learned a ton, was able to quilt it a lot easier than the last one (because it's so much smaller), and had some more practice with cutting and making a binding. I used the binding and basting tutorials from crazy mom quilts, which were really helpful and well done.
You can see the binding a little bit better in this picture than the top one- it's all different fabrics because I didn't have any fabric to use that went well. I used the left over scraps from cutting up the squares! I think it really adds a lot of character to the back of the quilt, since it's mostly just the blue fowers fabric. The backing is from an old sheet that I found at the 2nd hand store, and there were some tiny holes I hadn't noticed, so that's what those random squares are doing floating around. Also, the fabric wasn't quite wide enough (I'd cut it up for another project), so I made a scrappy strip to widen things up! I have some printable fabric that I was thinking of using to make a little tag that has the date on it, just so that if Brighton ends up keeping it forever (I hope!) then it will say when her loving mommy made it for her.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Brianne said...

I love, love, LOVE it. You did a great job. The back is amazing. I am a fan of adding a stripe to the back and yours is awesome. You've ALMOST convinced me to make another quilt. But not quite.

Brianne said...

I love, love, LOVE it. You did a great job. The back is amazing. I am a fan of adding a stripe to the back and yours is awesome. You've ALMOST convinced me to make another quilt. But not quite.

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

very cute. Great job Kim. Dale will get his wish yet of you filling the closets with quilts. Way to go!

Jenny-Jenny said...

I am sooooooooooo impressed. You amaze me with all of your projects. Way to go