Friday, May 15, 2009

Newborn Gown With Flip Over Hand Cover Tutorial

Another newborn gown that I made this morning from one of Dale's old work "team" shirts. Again, I used this mama makes stuff's tutorial. I also joined her flickr group and checked out some of the other ones she's made. She had a cute one with the sleeves that have a little flip over hand cover, which is SO necessary in those early months. I decided I would try and make my own, and put it into a tutorial for anyone who wants to try it too, and so I can reference back to it when I make my NEXT ONE!
1. Cut two rectangles measuring 4"x3". The 4" side is the hemmed side. I used one of the sleeves from an old shirt of mine, as you can see. You could also use the bottom hem of the shirt. I just didn't want to hem one side of the little flippy thing. If you want to hem it yourself, just make sure you add in a little extra fabric for folding over.
2. With right sides facing each other, pin the flippy pockets to the sleeve so that it is flush with one side. Make sure you put it to the opposite side on the other sleeve. Pin and sew onto the middle of the sleeve using a 1/4" seam allowance. (Isn't my ironing board cover SOOOO cute?! Thanks, mom!)
3. Flip the flippy pocket over and iron the seam. Baste along the bottom and side edge.
4. Trim the extra off the end of the flippy pocket so that it matches the angle of the sleeve and continue on with the rest of the tutorial!
Now, I'm no expert, so if this is confusing, or you have a better way, let me know! Have fun making newborn gowns with flip over hand covers!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm surprised Dale was able to part with that shirt. Where do they come up with those names??? I LOVE your ironing board cover, I was actually thinking that before you mentioned it. I think I need a new ironing board cover. Mine is ugly and stained from using a red press cloth (yeah, I'm that smart). A tutorial? You are amazing. I will definitely be using that some day (I hope).

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

way to go Kim! Fun Fun. Isn't making baby clothes the best! This little boy is going to be styling!